Thursday, 24 July 2008

My First Hosted ATC Swap

I'm hosing my very first swap on the DoCrafts forum called Handpainted. It is a really simple swap, just paint, no embellishments nothing fussy just paint. Now this seemed like a really good idea at the time but its so DIFFICULT to paint so small! I had forgotten until I started how hard that is. Still, miss out a bit of detail, dig out the teeny brushes and its not so bad I dont think. These are two so far, but I dont know that these are definately the ones i'll use, i'll see nearer the time I think. Both are watercolours on watercolour paper.

Wednesday, 23 July 2008


This is number two for Sians Holes swap. This didnt quite turn out the way i'd have liked but I think its okay. It turned out quite bulky and a bit messy but I guess old boat portholes might be a bit messy too. This was made with a sheet of REALLY thin veneer stuck onto mountboard with a big hole cut out. Then layered with more veneer and foam and then painted till it warped (oops!). The porthole is little metal circle that I cropodiled to within an inch of its life and set eyelets into. Then brushed and acrylic painted to dull it a bit. There are eyelets everywhere thats what is making it a bit messy as its kind of uneven. Some net added for fishing, and a little roled canvas that i ran through the printer is at the top and when you untie and roll down the back you get a little underwater scene.

Monday, 21 July 2008


This is for a hosted swap again on the DC Forum (Note to self: Must broaden horizons!!). This one is hosted by Sian, her swaps are always great. The rule for this one is that there must be a hole all the way through the ATC. I've called this 'The Vault'. Its a piece of copper (I originally did it in aluminium but it was a bit too thin and looked rubbish) i've embossed/debossed and eyeletted and bradded (words) to within an inch of its life. The 'vault' door opens so thats the required hole. A hinge added to the door and everything alcohol inked and its done. I had painted with acrylic to dull it down originally but it was horrible so it went along with the aluminium.

Ink and a Splash

This is for a hosted swap on the DC forum hosted my Helen. I love drawing pen and ink, but this one your allowed a bit of one colour included. This is my first one, i have done another but not sure i like it yet. Better get to work on some more!! Oh and this is drawn on brilliant white paper, my photography skills are getting better and better :$

Thursday, 3 July 2008

There was a crooked house!

This is my Round Robin journal page for Heidi. First I just want to say that this looks BAD in the picture, I cant take a photo to save my life! I went ahead and made this as Heidis lovely page has gone AWOL in the post :( I know that Heidi is quite fond of her houses, so I decided to make some with a difference. I know its a bit odd but I like it and hope very much that Heidi does too? Well its made up of mountboard with ice lolly sticks chopped up to make all the bits (its about a half inch think - sorry!). Now I have to tell you all, it is not easy trying to find plain old lolly sticks here, they're all multicoloured, so I had to cover the whole thing three times in gesso before I could start to paint!!It is covered with a mix of acrylic paint and an irridecent mixative, then highlighted with some wax rub ons and the edges are all sealed with alum tape that has been alcohol inked. Oh and the base of the page is ripped card to make it look like a wall, although i think it might look more like water, but thats fine too. Lastly there is some glossy accents in the house windows to look like glass. I'm not sure if it needs something else so I'm going to look at it for a day or two and think about it again then.


This I dare you is for Fushia. Lynns dare was to make an opulent looking gothic arch, so I decided i'd try to make something that looked kind of gilded. I think it does. I also REALLY wanted to use my new stamp so I did that too :) The background of the arch is perfect pearls which has flourishes stamped over the top in green distress ink. The little lady is on acetate and painted with H2Os. There is then some organza curtains attached. The frame is clay painted and painted some more :$ It actually lost a little of the detail but thats okay it makes it look older. To finish it off i've attached a gold chain with a little glitter bead that looks like a glitter ball since she's on stage. I do hope its okay! Its scary when someone sets you a challenge and they have something in mind but you dont know what it is.


This is my I dare you for Joey. My dare was to make an altered matchbox and here it is. It doesnt photograph very well but I like it in real life. Its all covered in aluminium tape and gold foil tape in places, then alcohol inked. You cant see in the picture but the base of the inside drawer is a piece of aluminium that i've embossed to say time. Then there are some watch bits and dials set into UTEE. On the top is a piece of gold chain holding a little gold bead, you cant see it but it is there. The outside is again alum tape and gold tape and inks but with the strap of an old watch attach to look like a belt holding it all together. Fingers crossed she likes it okay!